Today I watched the bonus features (my favorite part of any movie) of National Treasure 2: The Book of Secrets. By far my favorite feature was titled "Inside the Library of Congress." Now if you know me well, you might know that I have an extreme fascination with American History.. Mostly early colonial America and first half of the 20th century. So naturally my dream vacation right now would be to go back east to Washington D.C. One reason is to see my sister, her husband and my nephew in Maryland, but also to go explore our nations history. I want to go more than you even know.
Before watching the afore said bonus feature I really had no interest in going to the Library of Congress. But au contraire. That is the number one place on my go-see list. I have to go!
I know this probably doesn't make it sound that amazing but it is. This is from the Librarian of Congress(p.s. isn't that one of the coolest professional titles ever?!)
Welcome Message from the Librarian of Congress
The Library of Congress is the nation's oldest federal cultural institution and serves as the research arm of Congress. It is also the largest library in the world, with millions of books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections.
The Library's mission is to make its resources available and useful to the Congress and the American people and to sustain and preserve a universal collection of knowledge and creativity for future generations. The Office of the Librarian is tasked to set policy and to direct and support programs and activities to accomplish the Library's mission.
As Librarian of Congress, I oversee the many thousands of dedicated staff who acquire, catalog, preserve, and make available library collections within our three buildings on Capitol Hill and over the Internet. I am pleased that you are visiting our Web site today, and I invite you to bookmark our URL and return to it often.
Sincerely,
James H. Billington, Librarian of Congress
I want to go.
Since I want to go so badly, I was on their website today. Granted it isn't the most exciting site ever, its very informative. I found this little gem called Today in History on their site, although it isn't the only Today in History on the internet I really like it. Did you know that today, September 7 in 1977 President Jimmy Carter and Omar Torrijos, Cheif of Government in Panama, signed the Panama Canal Treaty and Neutrality Treaty which signed control of the Panama canal to Panama? What a nice piece of history!
Okay so basically this post made me even more of a nerd than I already am. And sorry for this rambling of thoughts. It was really weird I know, but please don't judge me:) haha
mechale lauren
Hey, I'm a US history nerd too! seriously. let's plan a trip. :)
ReplyDelete