10.06.2012

The Next 8 Months

As I entered the Conference Center this morning, I anticipated that conference would be meaningful but there is no way I could have expected what was to come.  When they announced that President Monson would be the first to speak I was a little surprised but excited.  I love hearing him.  He began by talking at temples which was expected.  But then the focus changed to missionary work.  He began talking about young men who in some countries are allowed to begin serving at age 18.  He announced that now all young men will be eligible to begin serving missions at age 18 provided that they have graduated from high school.  Then he began talking about sister missionaries.  My heart stopped.  He announced that young women will now be able to serve missions at the age of 19.  I immediately got the chills and tears began to well up in my eyes.  Everyone began chatting in hushed tones.  Today was a historical day for missionary service in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I feel so blessed to have been at the conference center.


In the two hours following that historic announcement I wept with excitement, anticipation and wonder.  I could potentially enter the MTC in 8 months.  To serve a full time mission.  As I sat and listened to the remainder of the session I was filled with the Spirit.  My mom served a mission and I always admired that about her.  I always thought that is would be so cool to go but didn't really know if it was for me.  I want to get married between the ages of 21 and 23 so I wondered whether serving a mission would be right for my life.  Now, though, I could serve and be home by the age of 20.  I still can hardly believe it.  I have never been to nor watched a session of conference more meaningful to me and my life.  I am now preparing to serve a full time mission.  I still don't know whether or not I will go, it's an incredibly personal and important decision.  But this I do know- whether or not I go, my Heavenly Father wants me to prepare to serve a mission.  I know this without any shadow of a doubt.  I have never felt so sure about something in my life.  Preparing to serve a full time mission will bless my life immeasurably.  It will be help me become who God intended me to be.  I know that preparing for this will help me be a better example and missionary now.

I am anxious to being preparing and exploring the option of serving a mission in 8 months.  I know this gospel is true!  There is no doubt in my mind about that.  As Sister Dibb said, "I am a Mormon.  I know it, I live it, I love it."  I am so grateful to be the age that I am so that I can take advantage of this opportunity.  I still can hardly believe it!  This seems so surreal.

mechale lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment