Today I had flute. Can I just tell you that I absolutely love it. You have no idea. I started taking flute when I was in 4th or 5th grade, my memory is a bit hazy I guess... Anyhoo, I quit in 7th grade because it wasn't even fun. I took from this lady who said that my half hour lessons would be free if I cleaned her house for an hour after, and back then I was willing to do anything to play the flute. So this is how my mondays went for a couple years. Go to school. Come home. Get my flute. Go to my lesson. Play stupid, annoying exercises and although I'm sure they were good for me, I got so bored after years of exercises and no solo pieces. So I quit. But then, in December, my young women's president asked me if I would accompany the young women singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen in Sacrament Meeting, so I said I'd try it and I'd let her know. So I practiced.. and it kinda sounded crappy, not super bad, but not as good as I wanted it to so I didn't play for them. But through this, I realized that I LOVE the flute and want to get back in lessons. My mom called around and got me into this AMAZING teacher who usually has waiting lists of basically a billion people, but miraculously I got in right away:) soo I've been taking for a month and its incredible. My teacher, Cindy Henderson, took flute from Toshio Takahashi. Now I'm positive that that name means nothing to you, but he developed the suzuki method for the flute! Mrs. Henderson was the first suzuki flute teacher in Utah, yeah she's that good. But honestly, I thought I was going to be terrible, but turns out I guess I'm actually pretty good. That made me more happy than you can believe. Today I picked out my federation pieces, and they're pretty hard and technical, but my teacher said I'll have no problem with it. Such good news, really.
There's something about playing the flute that excites me. I can't exactly pinpoint it. I don't know if its the fact that its an instrument that was new to me and one that no one in my family plays so it made me unique. Or maybe its the way that you have to sychronize every part of you to create a beautiful sound. It takes your tongue, throat, sinuses, fingers, lips, lungs, jaw, diaphram, proper anchoring of your legs, wrist posture, shoulder direction and much more to make a just single clear note.
I can't get enough of it.
It's truly a beautiful instrument.
No comments:
Post a Comment