9.26.2011

Happy as a Lark

I'm happy. Legitimately happy. No, not everything in my life is perfect and I often find myself dwelling on the negative. Why? I've realized that when I focus on the positive I'm much happier. Go figure. Yeah, I still think about the negative (I can't just ignore it) but by letting it not pervade every thought, I'm happier. And that's a good thing.

Take this past week for example. It was homecoming week. I was at school early everyday and stayed late everyday. Thursday I got a total of a half hour of sleep because I was up painting the field (and might I add that it looked incredible). I fell asleep in every class Friday. I went home, showered and I was back at the school to stress about how to get power for both of the blow-up toys I was in charge of. There was so much to do and so much to worry about, yet I was completely happy. Homecoming week was magical. I deepened relationships, gained a greater love for the Bountiful High legacy, saw first hand the effects of cooperation, and enjoyed every second of it. It was incredible to be at the homecoming game and hear the crowd go wild at the sight of the lit B. Homecoming week is what high school is all about. It's about becoming unified with everyone around you simply because you're all Braves. It's about cheering a team to victory (we beat highland 27-3, that's HUGE!). It's about saying hi to a new person everyday. It's about loving where you are at every second. I loved this past week. I've never been more exhausted, but I've never been more rewarded for hard work. There were so many things that were hard, things I didn't want to do. There were things that stressed me out and things that were dramatic. But rather than focus on those things, I looked at the good things and that made all the difference. I've been completely satisfied and genuinely happy.

So yes, I can be a happy person despite the hard things I face. It's taken me a while to learn the lesson, but I'm glad I have.

mechale lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment