I'm having a hard time as of the last 10 minutes. I love the University of Utah, don't get me wrong, but it's hard right now looking at everyone's pictures of BYU and seeing how much fun they're having. It's hard being the only Mormon girl. I'm having a hard time finding where I fit in. My standards are so different from most people around me. Yes, I came from the "Bountiful Bubble," but seriously, I've never heard so much swearing and stories that don't comply with my standards. It isn't easy! I know that I made the right decision in going to the U but it still doesn't mean I'm not envious of those at BYU. Everywhere they go they are surrounded by members of the Church. Their professors love and respect the Church. They have the Honor Code! I can live the standards of the Honor Code myself, but the people around me don't. What I wouldn't give for the blessings they have! It definitely isn't the same at the U. I knew that my choice to come here would probably be the more difficult one and I am anxious to meet this challenge, but I didn't anticipate how immediately difficult it would be. And it's just made more difficult seeing what so many of my friends are blessed to be involved in.
I don't in any way regret my decision to attend the U. I have already had some incredible experiences and I'm gearing up for more. I love my roommates. Yes, our values and standards are different, but they are incredible girls and I already love them. The four sophomores got me and the other two freshman we're living with to sign up for Greek Recruitment. Going into recruitment I thought that there was NO way I would ever pledge to a sorority. After Saturday (day one of recruitment) I'm pledging. I can't wait to be apart of a sorority (bid day is Wednesday!!!). It's an incredible way to meet people and be involved in something. I always thought that it was all about drinking and partying but that is far from the case (at least at the U). I'm excited to get my "big" and go to all the football games with my sisters and have an incredible support system. GO GREEK!
The U is the place for me. I love my classes... mostly and my professors... mostly. (Side note- when I was little, my dad and I used to watch this scientist on PBS dress up in a top hat and a suit and do chemistry experiments. Turns out that this mad chemist is my professor! He's hilarious! I seriously love that class!) I've met a few great people (hopefully I'll meet more! coughsororitycough) and have made some great friendships. I feel so blessed to be living here in Salt Lake City and be attending the U.
mechale lauren
You'll be a great influence on those that don't hold your standards. I'm in a situation similar to yours. Especially at work. You can do it though. I believe in you.
ReplyDeleteA sorority huh? Now that is awesome!! :) :) Send me pics will ya? I'd love to keep hearing more about your college adventures!! I miss you and I love you! (PS: TEXT ME MORE OFTEN!!)