9.24.2012

Blitzen

Do you ever have days that are so great and then one tiny thing makes them not so great anymore?  That describes today.  I had a great day, went on a super fun date, had Chi O stuff, went to a great engineering meeting and then opened at text from my mom at 6:51 saying, "Blitzen died today."  It was hard to keep myself together while in my meeting.  As I walked from the engineering building back to the Chi O I lost it.

To be honest, I'm surprised she lasted this long.  She's been on her way out since the beginning of the summer.  But the finality of it was startling.  Even earlier today I was talking to someone about how she just needs to die.  I was so lighthearted!  If I had known that I later in the day I'd be hearing the news that she was gone I don't think I would have joked about it.

Blitzen has been a huge part of my life since I was four.  We got her for Christmas (hence the reindeer name) and she had been around ever since.  I know that I didn't always play with her everyday, hated being on pooper scooper duty, and sometimes didn't really notice that she was around but she was my dog and I already miss her.  I'll miss her sleeping with me when there was thunder and lightning.  I'll miss her chasing after anyone in a uniform.  I'll miss her being so excited to see me when I got home from a trip.  I'll miss her eating bees.  I'll miss her being there for 14 years of my life.

Seeing her go down hill the past few months was hard- cancer, cataracts, arthritis- but she was always happy through it all.  Even on her pain meds she would try to come see me anytime I saw her.  She was such a loyal dog and I'll miss her.

RIP Blitzen.  You were the best dog ever.  I love you.

October 17, 1998- September 24, 2012.

mechale lauren

p.s. I wish I had a picture of her on my computer.  She was the cutest black lab ever.

2 comments:

  1. NO WAY!!!! THAT"S SO SAD!!! :( Blitzen can't die :( I'm sorry girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was the best dog. I was 11 when we got her. Best christmas ever. I cried telling Robby all about it last night. I was laughing when I heard Johnny has been praying for her to stay alive. Chris and I have both been praying that Heavenly Father would take her peacefully since she was so sick. I'm guessing our prayers were working against each other all summer long :) So sad to see her go, but I'm so happy it ended the way it did. And like mom said, she's probably frolicking nearby :)

    ReplyDelete