Here's a good song to listen to while reading this- If You Could Hie to Kolob arr. Marshall McDonald
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. And i think i'm growing, spiritually that is(hopefully taller too:)). My mind has been more focused on the eternal and gospel side of things. I guess it kinda started when it hit me that my big brother turns in his mission papers on March 10th. I'm pathetic, but right now I'm getting a little teary eyed. I'm not necessarily sad he's leaving because there's no place I'd rather have him be, its just that he's my big brother. Yes, I have two others besides him, but its johnny. I love that kid more than anything. Sometimes he's a mean big brother, but he's my big brother and I absolutely adore him. I wish he understood that. But anyways, thats one reason my mind has been on things not of a secular nature.
The second thing has to do partly with a boy named Tyler Talbot. I've grown up with Ty, our families used to always have sleepovers and play night games in the summer. Ty's my hometeacher and has been for quite some time. He just got his mission call to Mexico and the sunday after he got his call he came hometeaching. Ty taught a lesson on missionary work and I don't know why but I was powerfully hit with the notion that the Gospel changes lives. The true Gospel is what gets these 19 year old boys out on missions. It's what shapes my life. It points me in the right direction. Ty also told Johnny, Paige and I that we should take advantage of Seminary and take out a journal to write in every day we're in Seminary. So I've decided to do just that.
I love Seminary. I love my teacher. I love my class. Most importantly, I love the feeling I've been getting while I'm there and throughout the day. I've never felt this way in Seminary before, but while I'm there I don't want to leave. I think its due to an attitude change as well as a stronger desire to be the best I can be. I'd rather spend my whole day learning of Christ and His will for me than be at school. I know that sounds a bit extreme but its how I feel. The Gospel brings so much peace and happiness into my life. It doesn't take away my problems, but I endure them with so much more faith and patience.
Lately in Seminary we've been discussing D&C 76. On Friday, we talked about the Celestial Kingdom. I hope it goes without saying that thats where I want to be in the eternities. We talked about how there are 4 ways to get into the Celestial Kindom- 1)Die before the age of accountability(8); 2)Go through this earthly life with a mental handicap; 3) never have heard the fullness of the Gospel here on this earth and accept the Gospel in the Spirit World; and 4) Accept the Gospel on earth and live it with exactness. Of all 4 ways the most difficult of all is the fourth option. The road that I'm taking. Even though its not always easy, I feel so blessed to travel this road. I'm so lucky to be born in the Gospel, to have a living prohet on the earth, be able to know I have a Savior who loves me and is vying for my success. He is there for me. He is my best friend. He is the perfect example. I love him with everything I have.
When I was at EFY the summer of 2008, I was introduced to this song. It explains just how I feel about My Redeemer.
I Am- Nichole Nordeman
Pencil marks on a wall
I wasn't always this tall,
You scattered some monsters from beneath my bed,
You watched my team win,
You watched my team lose,
You watched when my bicycle went down again,
And When I was weak unable to speak,
still I could call You by name, and I said
“Elbow healer, Superhero,come if You can,”
and You said “I am”
Only 16, life is so mean,
what kind of curfew is at ten PM
You saw my mistakes,
You watched my heart break
Heard when I swore I’d never love again
When I was weak, unable to speak,
still I could call You by name, and I said
“Heart-ache Healer, Secret-keeper,
be my Best Friend” and You said “I am”
You saw me wear white, by pale candlelight,
I said forever to what lies ahead
two kids and a dream, with kids that can scream
too much it might seem when it’s two AM
When I am weak, unable to speak,
still I will call You by name.
“Oh Shepherd, Savior, Pasture-maker,
hold on to my hand,” and You say “I am.”
The winds of change,
And circumstance blow in and all around us
so we find a foothold that’s familiar,
And bless the moments that we feel You nearer
Life had begun, I was woven and spun,
You let the angels dance around the throne,
who can say when, But they’ll dance again,
when I am free and finally headed home
I will be weak, unable to speak,
still I will call You by name
“Creator, Maker, Life-sustainer,
Comforter, Healer, My Redeemer,
Lord and King, Beginning and the End,
I am, yes, I am.”
Love it. And every time I see Johnny I always think about him leaving soon, too. It's weird but wonderful, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteAnd I love seminary this semester too- Bro. Beynon is the best!!
:)