Bountiful(rank 3) vs. Timpview (rank 1)
Here's the low down. Walking into the Dee Events Center is possibly one of my favorie things. I can't possibly describe it. I've seen countless games there. Cried countless times there. Jumped for joy countless times there. Pulled my hair out countless times there. Enjoyed time with my dad countless times there. Get the picture? Heading into this season brought so much anticipation, nerves and excitment. 5 returning starters? It was bound to be a good season. With some late season setbacks we ended up with a third seed. Not quite the first seed I had hoped for, but it's all turning out just fine.
I got to the arena about noon, just after the ACT, just in time to watch the tail end of WX's win. I'll be honest, I was getting a bit nervous. I kinda feel bad because some people were trying to talk to me but I was super unresponsive. They should learn that I'm am not to be patronized before or during a game.
So the moment arrived. The boys stepped out onto the court and began to shoot. I had to keep reminding myself to breathe, be normal, talk to people, relaxxx. But it was hard. I was engrossed watching those boys shoot the ball- Timpview and Bountiful alike. I concentrated on the outcome of the game. Everything they had to do. They looked so calm and possessed out there. The night before they had an extra special team dinner. Author Kevin Hill came to speak to them. He is a motivational speaker and olympic mental coach. From what I got from Johnny, he spoke about the power of words and the mind. He taught them 8 words to remember- Act like it would be impossible to fail. And that's just what those boys are doing. He came to their game yesterday and I got to meet them. He has faith in these boys. He taught them some visualization exercises to engage in before the game. He also told them that if they take state he'll come back to speak to them and give them signed copies of his book Aspire.
The pregame clock ran down to zero. It was time to announce the players. Hearing Johnny's name called was- its pathetic- kind of emotional for me. I realized that this could be the last time I heard those words. But I digress. The game began and it was soon became clear that we were the better team. We took a lead in the second quarter of 14 points:) yess. But Timpview is a great team. They came back and tied at 29. If you were anywhere in the vicinity of where I was, I'm sure my stress was extremely apparent. I was up and down. Spinning around. Handling my jersey and feather. Sitting with my head on my knees talking to myself. I was a spectacle. But those boys played better and harder than they have in a long time. They played as a team. Dillon Salazar went 4 for 4 from behind the arc. Johnny hit a three early in the game. Mckay and Nick showed their extreme athleticism with some beautiful plays. Basketball truly can be beautiful. There were a couple plays in particular that gave me butterflies they were so pretty. I know how ridiculous it sounds but it's true. I'm pathetic.
As the time in the 4th faded I realized that we would advance. And what an incredible feeling that was. If you've talked to me much at all in the past week you'll know that basketball and this first game in particular are all I've been thinking about. I took a deep breath closed my eyes as I was clapped on the back and bombarded with well wishes. Phase 1 of 4 complete.
The rest of my day was spent up at Weber with my favorite coach. Springville vs. Box Elder. Payson vs. Timpanogos. Highland vs. Mountain Crest. All excellent games. I love it. I love the arena, but mostly I love the game.
Alright Braves lets take down Springville in the quarters. Yeah man.
mechale lauren
I. Love. Cowbell.
ReplyDeleteand her lovely basketball antics:)