2.17.2011

Onomastics

on·o·mas·tics   /ˌɒnəˈmæstɪks/ [on-uh-mas-tiks] –noun ( used with a singular verb )
the study of the origin, history, and use of proper names.

I sure didn't know that word until now- thanks dictionary.com!

I just had a lengthy conversation with my mother about names. I've come to a conclusion. I love family names! I know that it's kinda cliche to make lists of names for future kids, but i can't help it! So here's what I have so far:

Nora Jayne: My dear mother is named Nora so my daughter would be named after her grandmother. Also, there is a trend that it follows. My mother is Nora, her mother is Mary, her mother is Nora, her mother is Mary.. Get the picture? No, none of my siblings are named Mary so there's a gap in the pattern, but my mother and I have considered changing my name to Mary Mechale Lauren for geneology's sake. Yes, it's a mouthful but I don't mind. Sure, I'd have 5 names once I'm married but I'm fine with that. I'd never actually use Mary haha. I don't know, it'll probably never happen but there's the story behind Nora Jayne.

Chloe Alice: I love the name Chloe. Chloe Nebeker is my great-great grandmother. Kinda far back, but a family name nonetheless. Alice Caldwell Fox is my great grandmother whom I adore! Love love love Great grandma Fox.

Sophie LaRue Sophie Noble is my great-great-great grandmother. Even further than Chloe haha. I think Sophie is such a cute name! and I know what you're thinking- LaRue??? I like it okay?! It's also very similar to my middle name- Lauren. Clever right? And LaRue Thomas is my all time favorite fictional character from a book. She's from the Children of the Promise series- possibly the best historical fiction series out there. No I wouldn't be naming my daughter after a fictional character per se, I just love LaRue and I relate to her more than any character in any book. Besides, its kinda cute right? Give it time, it'll grow on you. And it's French. My mother happens to speak French and went to France on her mission. Okay it was actually the Belgium Brussels Mission, but she was in France all except the first and last days of her mission. So what I'm trying to say is- French, strangely, is sentimental to me. LaRue works:)

Now lets just hope that I have a compliant husband:)

mechale lauren

Oh and by the way- I realized that I spelt concise wrong in my last post! I wrote consise! How embarrassing.... haha

1 comment:

  1. You're so cute Cowbell:) I quite enjoy reading your blog. Saturday?? Yes!

    p.s. I LOVE the name Nora. So cute!

    ReplyDelete